General MacArthur Elementary
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Located on the oldest active army post west of the Mississippi River, Fort Leavenworth Army Post, MacArthur Elementary is a kindergarten through sixth-grade school that is designed to provide the best education and experience for the military families at Fort Leavenworth.
The five-unit school turns each grade level classroom into a “pod,” that is surrounded by exterior courtyards. Bright colors were used throughout the building to create a positive and energized learning environment for students, which can be seen in the large atrium that is located off of the entryway. This space houses 40 grade-level classrooms, two computer labs, an auditorium, cafeteria, gymnasium, library, art center, and science rooms.
- LEED Gold Certification
- Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system consists of ground source heat pumps utilizing a vertical geothermal heat exchanger. Outdoor air is introduced through energy recovery ventilators.
- Electrical systems are designed to provide power, lighting, fire alarm, communications systems, and security and audiovisual rough-ins for the occupancy and use of all components of the facility.
- Plumbing system utilizes domestic water supplied from the main in 5th Artillery. Natural gas-fired water heaters generates domestic hot water.
- Fire protection system is a wet sprinkler system throughout the building designed for light hazard, utilizing a fire pump to provide adequate pressure.
- Provided design of VoIP loudspeaker public address solution (in lieu of traditional analog solution).
- Produced a design of digital Power-Over-Ethernet IP clock system.
- Designed collaboration spaces with projectors at strategic locations within classroom corridors for student interaction.
Photography credit: Kessler Photography