The historic Benson Theatre was granted substantial funding in 2015 by the City of Omaha to restore and transform the space into a modern, multi-functional theater that is used for theatrical productions, films, concerts, comedy and poetry events, and dance productions.
- Designed mechanical systems to incorporate outdoor air into the space.
- Designed plumbing systems to support a new reconfiguration of restrooms to allow the space to work seamlessly at max capacity.
- Designed electrical systems, including lighting features, to help create an ambiance in line with the Owner’s vision.
- Designed MEP systems to support the addition of a bar to serve theater and outside guests.
- Performed acoustical analysis of the space, including modeling and generation of auralizations for evaluation of treatment recommendations by the client.
- Provided recommendations for building materials and acoustical treatments required to provide adequate sound quality within the space.
- Performed acoustical measurements to determine sound insulation properties of the existing wall construction and evaluate the sound transmission to adjacent businesses.
- Designed house lighting to highlight the original wood ceiling in the theater while matching the design aesthetics of the building.
- Provided electrical pathways and power requirements for theatrical lighting and dimming systems.
- Provided lighting to internally illuminate donor signage.
- Designed exterior lighting to highlight the historically preserved external façade.
- Designed audiovisual systems for sound reinforcement, speech amplification, audio recording, and video projection consisting of a 10,000+ lumen projector system.
- Modeled sound reinforcement systems to determine the type, aiming, location, and quantities of loudspeakers required to provide appropriate sound distribution.
Photography credit: William Hess Photography