Health Science Education Complex
The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) College of Nursing expanded its programs at the University of Nebraska at Kearney campus. As part of the health science education building, nursing students are able to work with UNMC’s allied health professionals in a collaborative approach to rural primary care.
This facility provides opportunities for inter-professional learning experience for students preparing for careers in rural primary care, new models for acute and critical care, and community-based care. Program spaces include classrooms, labs, simulation suites, exam rooms, and musculoskeletal, rehabilitation, and energized labs.
The building offers expanded teaching and research space and houses students from UNMC’s allied health professions, including physician assistants, physical therapy, clinical laboratory, diagnostic medical sonography, radiography, and medical nutrition.
- District steam and chilled water are used for building heating, cooling. and domestic water heating.
- Laboratory controls systems serve the anatomy lab to provide precise space pressurization.
- Anatomy lab features demand-controlled exhaust at tables to lower exhaust rates when individual tables are not in use.
- Electrical system was provided with emergency diesel generator backup system.
- Complete voice and data and communications structured wiring system including telecommunications spaces and pathways, equipment racks, telecommunications cables, termination hardware, cable management hardware, and telecommunications jacks was provided for the facility.
- Electronic security system provisions for this project include; access control and video surveillance at selected areas, head-end equipment upgrades and/or consolidation, and integration with existing campus-wide access control and video management system.
Photography credit: Kessler Photography