University of California, Irvine Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences
The Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences Building offers instructional space with a clinical skills laboratory, dry research space, student support space, and academic and administrative office space. The Sue and Bill Gross Nursing and Health Sciences Hall also provides dry research, instruction space, student support, and academic and administrative office space.
- LEED Platinum Certified
- Use of an air-cooled heat recovery chiller will supplement the chilled water system and produce the entire facility’s heating water system.
- All core-grouped flushing fixtures are separately plumbed for reclaim water.
- Chilled and heating water will be efficiently distributed throughout the building using variable-speed pumps, thus maximizing the use of water systems.
- A low-energy design approach will optimize whole building performance, including external circulation elements designed to introduce daylighting while strategically minimizing glare and solar gain.
- Air quality monitoring (via Aircuity) in all densely occupied spaces. Ventilation is continuously monitored and controlled to optimize indoor environmental quality.
- A photovoltaic system on the roof to reduce the building’s need for campus utilities and increases sustainability is to be included.
- All lighting will utilize energy-efficient LED luminaires throughout with high color rendering indices of at least 90 and 4000K color temperature (CCT) to provide a natural quality of light. Classroom lighting controls integrate with the audiovisual system, allowing lighting to be controlled seamlessly with presentations.
Photography credit: University of California, Irvine