Norman Public Schools Freshman and Career Academy
The Norman High addition/renovation was part of a bond issue that created 28 district-wide school improvement projects. The design goals for each project were to “upgrade learning environments, enhance safety and provide additional instructional opportunities for students.” Being the City of Norman’s original high school, NHS’ building and culture are important to the community.
The Norman High Freshman and Career Academy’s amenities include renovation and new classrooms, lecture rooms, computer labs, band practice area, administrative offices, and related support areas.
- Designed heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, including cooling and heating equipment, air handling equipment, air distribution ductwork, and piping systems.
- Designed direct digital Building Automation System (BAS) controls to efficiently manage mechanical air distribution, ventilation, and exhaust systems.
- Designed plumbing systems, including all plumbing fixtures, domestic water piping, sanitary sewer piping, and sanitary vent piping.
- Designed lighting systems and controls.
- Designed exterior building and site lighting.
- Designed telecommunications systems for voice/data, security, and wireless network.
- Designed new telecommunications rooms within the existing areas and remodeled areas to serve the remodeled area without disrupting the functionality of the existing high school spaces.
- Designed and extended the existing security systems in the remodeled areas that included electronic access control, intrusion detection, and electronic video surveillance.
- Designed the audiovisual systems for the remodeled areas within the conference rooms, classrooms, and overhead paging system.
Photography credit: Simon Hurst Photography