Outdoor Adventures Center
The $5.28 million Outdoor Adventures Center is the on-campus home for outdoor academic and non-credit classes, the adventure trips program, challenge course, the UNL bike shop and gear rentals, and Nebraska’s largest climbing and bouldering gym, covering 2,383 square feet and offering 30 rope lines. The layout of the building allows easy access to each activity area independently and free movement between all areas.
Interior materials and detailing are intentionally rugged. Exposed concrete floors, steel structure, ductwork, and piping provide an honest expression of what the building is and how it works. The exterior climbing wall creates a unique focal point and strong visual clue as to the purpose of the building.
- Variable Air Volume HVAC system utilizing campus chilled water and central plant steam. A digital temperature controls system was provided to ensure the facility’s indoor environment remains comfortable for occupants.
- Wet-sprinkler system provides fire protection for the building.
- Full power design was provided, including a gas-fired emergency generator and LED lighting.
- Exterior lighting establishes the building as a beacon for visitors coming to campus from the North.
- Wired and wireless locations were designed throughout the project.
- Outdoor sound system was designed for paging and background music.
Photography credit: Kessler Photography