Westwood Church Addition and Renovation
18,000 Addition GSF, 13,000 Renovation GSF
Completed in 2018, the Westwood Church added a wing with classrooms and nurseries for its “Hearts and Minds” early childhood program. The addition included a new entry for the church, ten classroom spaces, restrooms, and administrative offices. The design called for these spaces to be easily accessible from the existing facility while surrounding an outdoor courtyard.
- The Alvine team considered many different HVAC options for this space. Upon review, the team selected variable air volume rooftop units.
- HVAC temperature control system is web-based and local thermostats have +/- 3 °F adjustment with override button.
- All classrooms feature a kitchenette with a sink, microwave, and mini refrigerator.
- Kitchen was completely renovated to include a new exhaust hood and makeup air unit, dishwasher, a three-compartment sink, and grease interceptor.
- The fire protection system serving the worship center was extended to all existing and new spaces.
- Lighting design was provided for the outdoor courtyard.
- The room lighting controls are integrated with the HVAC system to provide additional energy savings by reducing HVAC demand when rooms are unoccupied.
- LED luminaries were provided with protective lensing to prevent potentially broken pieces from harming students.
Photography credit: Ben Iwen