Avera Sacred Heart Majestic Bluffs Senior Living
Yankton, South Dakota
Facing the bluffs of the Missouri River in Yankton, South Dakota, this faith-based senior living community offers a variety of care options for seniors: independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care.
This expansion project nearly doubled the size of the facility and included the addition of a movie theater, marketplace, and pub.
- Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system: consists of variable-air-volume units air handling units. Air terminal units provide a high level of temperature control for each conditioned zone. Radiant heat is provided in rooms on the perimeter of the building. The temperature control system is a direct digital control-based energy management system which is an extension of the existing Johnson Control system.
- Central plant equipment: consists of air-cooled chillers and gas-fired boilers. Circulating pumps operate with variable speed controllers. Propylene glycol is used for freeze protection.
- Hot and cold water: are distributed to the building with a hot water recirculation loop. High-efficiency gas-fired water heaters generate hot water.
- Existing fire alarm system was expanded: to accommodate the new addition.
- Light-hazard fire protection sprinkler system: is provided throughout the building.
- Backup generator: provides emergency power for the life safety, critical, and equipment branches of the essential electrical system. The generator also provides backup power to the rest of the facility’s loads.
- Exterior lighting: consists of high pressure sodium where attached to the building and metal halide fixtures when not attached to the building. A combination of recessed fixtures in building canopies, wall-mounted fixtures, and pole-mounted luminaires were used.