Avera Sacred Heart Majestic Bluffs Senior Living
Yankton, South Dakota
Facing the bluffs of the Missouri River in Yankton, South Dakota, this faith-based senior living community offers a variety of care options for seniors: independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care. This expansion project nearly doubled the size of the facility and included the addition of a movie theater, marketplace, and pub.
- Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system consists of variable-air-volume units air handling units. Air terminal units provide a high level of temperature control for each conditioned zone. Radiant heat is provided in rooms on the perimeter of the building.
- The temperature control system is a direct digital control-based energy management system which is an extension of the existing Johnson Control system.
- Central plant equipment consists of air-cooled chillers and gas-fired boilers. Circulating pumps operate with variable speed controllers. Propylene glycol is used for freeze protection.
- Hot and cold water are distributed to the building with a hot water recirculation loop. High-efficiency gas-fired water heaters generate hot water.
- Existing fire alarm system was expanded to accommodate the new addition.
- Light-hazard fire protection sprinkler system is provided throughout the building.
- Backup generator provides emergency power for the life safety, critical, and equipment branches of the essential electrical system. The generator also provides backup power to the rest of the facility’s loads.
- Exterior lighting consists of high pressure sodium where attached to the building and metal halide fixtures when not attached to the building. A combination of recessed fixtures in building canopies, wall-mounted fixtures, and pole-mounted luminaires were used.
Photography credit: Cipher Imaging, Brian J. Rotert