Bel Brands USA Administration Building
Brookings, South Dakota
A design-build project, the administration building is the highlight of the manufacturing plant campus. The $2 million building uses wood, metal, and glass to create visual impact against the mass of the stark white manufacturing plant. Key office spaces include an open conference room and technical staff teaming areas along with offices, work stations, breakrooms, and a reception area.
The Administration Building achieved LEED Silver Certification while campus certification is pending. Sustainable design ideas included site design, water efficiency, energy efficiency, material usage, indoor environmental quality, and innovative design processes.
- LEED Silver.
- Recipient of the South Dakota AIA Merit Award.
- Distribution panelboards were provided to serve mechanical equipment and other concentrated loads. Lighting panelboards were provided to serve other building loads. HVAC equipment was supplied with the highest voltage available.
- HVAC equipment is controlled by individual motor starters. Each magnetic motor starter includes a hands-off-auto (H-O-A) switch, auxiliary contacts, a control power transformer, and a motor running pilot light.
- Intelligent microprocessor-based, addressable fire alarm system complete with addressable control relays was provided for the facility.
- To assist in attaining LEED Silver, daylight harvesting, occupancy sensors, and individual space controls were implemented. Daylight harvesting controls automatically reduce lighting levels in select spaces in response to available daylighting.
- Complete voice, data, and communications structured wiring system, including telecommunications spaces and pathways; equipment racks; telecommunications cables; termination hardware; cable management hardware; and telecommunications jacks, was also provided for the facility.
Photography credit: Cipher Imaging, Brian Rotert