City of Overland Park Thompson Park
Overland Park, Kansas
Located in Overland Park, Kansas, Thompson Park serves as a vibrant green space for the community, as well as an entertainment space for concerts and events. The addition of the airplane-shaped amphitheater, splash pad, restroom building, and plaza, brings life to the downtown park space.
- Heating, cooling, exhaust, and ventilation design for park restrooms. The team successfully located condensing unit indoors to eliminate any exterior equipment. The team utilized an exhaust fan and intake louvers for heat removal. In addition, the team used an energy recovery ventilator on the restroom exhaust and fresh air to reduce energy usage and improve HVAC operation.
- Provided plumbing design for park restrooms. The team used instantaneous water heaters to eliminate hot water recirculation systems and minimize the waste of hot water storage, especially during times of low use.
- Wayfinding lighting design for the walkways and seating areas.
- Architectural lighting design provided for the park’s amphitheater and water feature.
- Winner of the 2021 ASLA Prairie Gateway Chapter Merit Award in the Design-Built Category.