Polk County Justice Center
Des Moines, Iowa
Renovation of the existing courthouse expanded courts services to the former county jail and former Wellmark building.
- The building is heated by means of gas-fired sequential boilers that heat water, which is distributed to terminal heating devices by means of a steel and/or copper piping system and centrifugal circulation pumps.
- All existing plumbing fixtures were replaced and additional fixtures added.
- Architectural lighting design services were provided to incorporate LED lighting solutions and lighting controls throughout the interior spaces that reduced the lighting power density to be 53% better than code minimum.
- Acoustical design included solutions for acceptable sound quality and sound isolation in designated spaces.
- Audiovisual systems include sound reinforcement, video evidence display for the courtrooms, speech amplification and recording, video presentation for training rooms and conference rooms, and digital signage and room scheduling systems.
- Technology infrastructure for voice/data cabling, IT space design, backbone and horizontal cabling, as well as primary and secondary pathways were designed.
- Security design included access control, door monitoring, and video surveillance.
Professional photography by: Kessler Photography