Southern Nazarene University Science Laboratory Building
Excellence in Science is a hallmark of Southern Nazarene University. The J.D. & Mary West Science Laboratory at Southern Nazarene University is a 26,600-square-foot science facility housing the biology and chemistry laboratories and faculty offices as well as several research labs and ancillary support spaces. The new state-of-the-art science building features modern architecture that echoes the spacious classrooms and laboratories furnished with cutting-edge equipment and teaching resources.
The Science Laboratory building creates a sense of transparency between the laboratories and the adjacent two-story glass atrium so that science majors as well as non-majors can visualize ongoing experiments and lab assignments. This atrium space also creates student gathering areas outside of each lab allowing students and faculty alike to collaborate, communicate, and socialize.
- The building is heated utilizing modulating gas-fired roof-mounted air-handling units with multiple high efficiency modular condensing boilers for space reheat.
- The building is air-cooled by roof mounted air handling units with variable scroll compressors providing 225 nominal tons for laboratory and research areas and 50 nominal tons in general and office areas.
- The main distribution panel has a solid state breaker with full-feature electronic trip and ground fault protection.
- Emergency power will be supplied by a natural gas-fueled packaged engine generator located outdoors. The engine generator is complete with weatherproof enclosure, silencer, and automatic transfer switch.
- The lab gas system includes a complete piping system, central equipment, and user outlets. Lab gases consist of vacuum and natural gas.
- The facility was provided with an intelligent microprocessor-based, addressable fire alarm system complete with addressable control relays.