1713 Cuming Street
This former commercial property takes on a new life as an aging-in-place single-family residence, complete with ADA accessible elevator, bathroom, and living areas. Customized features added in the restoration of the property include a basement wine cellar and the creation of an open-concept space to allow outside light to filter throughout the two levels. A commercial grade stove, hood, and refrigerator were installed to accommodate a comfortable open space for entertaining.
Due to the unique position of the building on the property line and the placement of new windows, an innovative indoor fire sprinkler system was installed and customized to the unique space. This innovative system protects all levels of the home, as well as the adjacent property.
- Zoned with two air-to-air heat pumps to provide adequate temperature control throughout the homes three levels.
- Designed the electric water heater with a recirculating system to minimize wasted water.
- Installed LED lights throughout the space, including dim-to-warm technology to emulate incandescent light bulbs.
- Designed an electric in-floor heating system in the master bedroom above the covered open-air patio space.
- Incorporated smart home technologies throughout the design, including remote doorbell monitoring.
- Occupancy sensors were designed to control lighting in corridors and bathrooms.
- Designed mechanical systems to accommodate outdoor air ventilation, as well as kitchen hood make up air.
Photography credit: William Hess Photography